May 26 2015
Summary: Professionals have a systematic approach for windshield replacement process. They prepare the interiors of the vehicle and prepare it prior to installation. Superior quality glass and use of advanced technology determine its success.
The windshield is an integral part of the safety regime of your vehicle. Damaged windshields compromise the safety. Internationally repair of windshields is accepted to protect the structural integrity of the vehicle. It acts as a safety shield for passengers. A windshield comprises of a laminated glass where in between two glass layers, polyvinyl butyral is applied. During the manufacturing process, heat and pressure applied to these three layers, give it the appearance of a single layer. When flying objects hit this screen, these get stuck in PVB layer reducing the safety threat of passengers. Replacing a damaged windshield is a complex procedure, and competent repair services can help you in this endeavor.
Few important steps
The main aim of any repair service is to prevent the crack from spreading, improve the optical quality of the affected area and restore structural integrity. Based on the severity of the crack, professionals decide whether you need to repair the windshield or replace it. Professionals follow a windshield replacement process in accordance with the guidelines of the automobile industry.
- Prior to replacing the windshield, professionals ensure the safety of interiors. Interiors of the vehicle are covered to protect the bodywork.
- Professionals inspect traces of cracks, rust, corrosion and other factors in the frame; that mighteven affect the new windshield.
- Glue or seals used for holding the windshield are removed, followed by the glass. In this process, you gave to remove the molding and wipers. If required you have to cut the windshield and remove it.
- With the appropriate tool, you have to trim the urethane bead. Now clean the debris for a better fit of the windshield.
- Next step is the application of urethane and primer. Based on humidity, temperature and other details of the vehicle professionals choose an appropriate adhesive. Usually, urethane is s preferred choice of professionals. For pinchwelding the surface as the primer is applied. The windshield is cleaned and in the perimeter glass prep is applied. After this, you have to apply primer and urethane adhesive.
- Now, you have to set the windshield at a perfect level. Just reset the molding and reinstall cowl, wipers and other parts that were detached at the onset of glass removal process.
- After installing the windshield, check it for leaks.Speak to the installer regarding the time required for the adhesive to dry. However, this depends on the nature of adhesive and atmospheric conditions. It is wise not to use the car till it is not cured fully. Prior to the delivery of your car after replacement, you also need to inspect the interior of your car.
Adherence to the guideline
The quality of windshields plays an important role in determining the success of this procedure. Use of different tools and thorough inspection by professionals during windshield replacement process marks its success. Professionals follow these steps ardently and assure safe replacement of the windshield. All these steps are recommended by the council dealing with the safety of auto glass. The majority of the repair services provide a guarantee on the new windshield; that is if it is damaged within a year, you can get a free service for repair.